Be “mindful,” but practice clearing your mind to do it. It can be confusing, but there is a real reason that freeing your mind to use your mind optimally is good for your health and wellbeing.
Science now backs up the art of awareness, often practiced through mindfulness meditation, which helps you clear clutter from you mind, observe your thoughts and accept the moment without frustrating judgment or reaction.
You might practice mindful movement with yoga poses, which reveal how you handle challenge and discomfort. The process asks you to be aware of your body and breath to uncover the truth of what’s going on, rather than ignore it, push through it, or be in denial.
Here are five big reasons mindfulness makes your life better, period.
- You’ll Be a Better Person. Mindfulness changes your brain according to Harvard research and other studies. Those who meditate to clear their minds are less likely to have knee-jerk reactions and are more flexible to handle life without drama. Making better decisions from experience is also a bonus of mindfulness.
- You’ll Be Less Stressed. Mindfulness teaches you to live in the moment and to pay attention to real thoughts, feelings, and your body without judging. You’ll dwell less on what happened or what could happen, and less likely to make up stories that are far from reality. Worrying less means you’ll be less stressed, and as we all know, stress hurts your health.
- You’ll Have a Better Memory. The practice of being in the moment can help your mind wander less, which produces greater focus and information intake. Studies show that being mindful helps us learn and remember, because the mind simply has better memory capacity.
- You’ll Get Sick Less and Enjoy Life. A UCLA study showed mindfulness helped HIV patients’ immunity. Yet another study found mindfulness had a positive effect on blood pressure. If all your vitals are good, your body will be stronger to battle the viruses and illnesses, and you’ll be doing what you love, instead of sniffling in bed.
- Makes Your Relationships Better. Mindfulness helps you better understand emotions and what triggered them, eventually allowing you to be less destructive to yourself and others. This might mean choosing more supportive friends and partners or being more harmonious in your current relationships. You’ll also treat yourself better, because you’ll be more connected to your own actions.
If you don’t know where or how to begin your path to living mindfully, try Vie’s Simple Beginner’s Guide to start meditating or dive into these 12 Indispensable Mindful Living Tools. It’s time to make your life better.
Original article published by our friends at LiveYourVie.com. Need a weekly dose of inspiration for mind, body & soul? Sign up for the Vie Insider: Goodness delivered right to your inbox.
Julie Sacks is the Founder and CEO of Vie. Julie took the big leap from a successful career in publishing and marketing to become a Meditation teacher and Well-being entrepreneur, creating a modern movement for well-being. Launching a multistage business plan, starting with Vie’s website LiveYourVie.com, a growing community that includes experts, partners and thought leaders on mind, body, and soul. The site offers educational and inspirational content, celebrity interviews with doctors, athletes and chefs – all focused on how to live your healthiest and happiest life. Vie is purpose driven, and donates 10% of all profits back to the community in a partnership with the Sylvia Center, an organization which inspires children to eat well – so that they may lead healthy and productive lives. “Vie” is French for life.