One of the best changes you can make to your diet is to eat more “healthy fats.” No doubt you’ve heard the advice before, because these healthy fats are all helpful in reducing bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol, a balance that helps reduce your risk for blocked arteries, heart attack, and stroke.
You can find these fats in an omega-3 supplement, but nothing beats real, healthy food, which has other health benefits as well.
Here’s what you should add to your shopping list right away for your heart and so much more:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Why: Highest amount of antioxidants of the oils; slows natural aging process
- How: Pure, but highly caloric; use in moderation (2 tablespoons daily) in salad dressings, for roasting vegetables, or as a key ingredient in pesto and eggplant dip (baba ghanouj)
- Why: Perfect combination of fiber and protein, keeps you full longer to help you maintain weight; supports your bone, muscles and immunity
- How: Spread on multi-grain toast with a banana or apple; add to smoothies; mix into salad dressings
- Why: Grows and repairs body tissues to fight infection; detoxifies your body to create better absorption of healthier elements; regulates your digestive tract
- How: Slice on top of salads, slather on toast, stuff with grains and legumes, add to smoothies, and make guacamole (of course)
- Why: Keeps energy levels high; can inhibit your absorption of fat for weight maintenance; prevents post-menopausal symptoms; prevents osteoporosis
- How: Drink straight, use in smoothies, or use as an ingredient in dips, dressings, soups, frozen treats, and baked goods
Add those right away, and subtract bad fats like fried foods, butter and stick margarine, packaged snack foods and candy bars, and you can reduce your fatigue, lethargy, food cravings and even mild depression. In addition to preventing disease, healthy fats also help sharpen your brain, boost your memory and keep you in a more positive mood. So if you’re eating healthy fats, you’ll have no problem remembering what to eat for your next meal to be the healthiest version of you.
Original article published by our friends at LiveYourVie.com. Need a weekly dose of inspiration for mind, body & soul? Sign up for the Vie Insider: Goodness delivered right to your inbox.
Julie Sacks is the Founder and CEO of Vie. Julie took the big leap from a successful career in publishing and marketing to become a Meditation teacher and Well-being entrepreneur, creating a modern movement for well-being. Launching a multistage business plan, starting with Vie’s website LiveYourVie.com, a growing community that includes experts, partners and thought leaders on mind, body, and soul. The site offers educational and inspirational content, celebrity interviews with doctors, athletes and chefs – all focused on how to live your healthiest and happiest life. Vie is purpose driven, and donates 10% of all profits back to the community in a partnership with the Sylvia Center, an organization which inspires children to eat well – so that they may lead healthy and productive lives. “Vie” is French for life.